Revved up For Reading

 Hello Grade 1 and 2 Families!


The students in our reading groups are really getting into the swing of things and are enthusiastic about starting a new book each week to practice new sounds, and strategies we introduce.  

Reminder: Conferences are coming up!! I'm happy to meet with you to discuss your child's progress or answer any questions. At the bottom of the page you will see info on how to set up an appointment. We will be meeting on line, but can make accommodations for in person if necessary.

Learning Intentions:

I can use my Eagle Eye to look at the pictures and search for meaning and help me to decode words by looking at the initial and final letter of a word.

I can use my background knowledge and picture clues to make predictions about and connections to the text.

I can point under the words and match one to one speech to print.

I can manipulate sounds to create new words.


Every few weeks, students are introduced to a targeted reading strategy and have opportunities to practice and apply the new strategy.  This week, we practiced using the Eagle Eye strategy.  We covered up the words in the book before the initial reading, and really looked at the information the illustrations provide.  Before reading, students were given the opportunity to "tell" the story in their own words, based on prior knowledge. They had fun with this, but it really helped them to engage in the story before even reading it!! It also  helps with vocabulary development and comprehension.

Ask your child to "tell" the story using the pictures.  It doesn't have to be exact...just makes sense.


Grade ones  have also been introduced to left to right tracking using our fingers, pointers, or reading rulers to help reinforce print concepts and links between oral to printed words.





In Grade 2 students have the opportunity to develop decoding skills through word play...students explore sounds through adding, subtracting and trading sounds to make new words. This also provides practice with listening to beginning, middle, end sounds of words and shows that sometimes two letters can make one sound.




Parent Teacher Conferences:  On November 24th, I will be available for Parent- Teacher conferences from 3:30 - 5:30 pm, and on Friday, November 25th, I will be available from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm.  If  you would like to discuss your child's progress in reading with me, you make book your conference with me through your MyCBE account.  I'm looking forward to meeting with you!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Wonder Why There's So Many Questions?

Focus on Fluency

March Conferences